As we age, our bodies undergo various changes, and metabolism is no exception. After hitting the 40-year mark, you might have noticed that keeping weight off becomes a bit more challenging. This change isn’t just in your head; it’s a natural part of aging.
But here’s the good news: you’re not powerless in this scenario. There are effective ways to rev up your metabolism, and one of them is through the right supplements.
Remember, before adding any supplements to your routine, it’s wise to consult with a healthcare provider. They can guide you based on your individual health needs and ensure you’re making safe choices.
Let’s explore these supplements in detail and see how they can help keep your metabolic engine running smoothly.
What supplement can speed up metabolism?
From green tea extract to magnesium, these supplements offer a natural boost to help you maintain energy and health as you age.
1. Green tea extract
This powerhouse supplement is not just your average cup of tea. It’s packed with antioxidants called catechins, known for their ability to fire up the metabolism.
Here’s why green tea extract is a great choice for those over 40 looking to keep their metabolism brisk:
- Green tea extract improves fat burning during exercise by giving your body an extra edge to work off calories more efficiently.
- It boosts metabolism and fights oxidative stress with antioxidants, promoting overall health.
- Green tea extract can give you that gentle nudge of energy, helping you feel more alert and ready to tackle your day.
It’s easy to incorporate into your routine, whether in supplement form or simply enjoying a few cups of green tea daily. Remember, moderation is key, as too much can lead to jitteriness or trouble sleeping.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are like the unsung heroes in the world of metabolism, especially after 40. These essential fats, which your body can’t make on its own, play a significant role in maintaining a healthy metabolism.
Let’s break down why omega-3s are a must-have in your supplement arsenal:
- Omega-3s help manage blood sugar levels, keeping those spikes and dips in check. This balance is crucial for a smooth-running metabolism.
- Chronic inflammation can throw your metabolic health off balance. Omega-3s step in as anti-inflammatory agents, helping your body maintain its metabolic functions more effectively.
- They’re not just about metabolism; omega-3s are great for your heart too. By supporting heart health, they ensure your entire system is running optimally, which includes your metabolism.
Incorporating omega-3 fatty acids into your daily regimen is a smart move for anyone over 40 looking to support their metabolism and overall health . They’re a simple yet effective way to help your body run more smoothly as you age.
- Provides high-quality omega-3s with significant EPA (643 mg) and DHA (257 mg) content per soft gel from Alaskan pollock.
- Molecularly distilled and IFOS certified for contaminant-free purity and safety.
- Dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, non-GMO, peanut-free, shellfish-free, soy-free, wheat-free, tree nuts-free. No artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
3. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
Conjugated linoleic acid, commonly known as CLA, is a bit of a superstar in the world of fitness and weight management. It’s a naturally occurring fatty acid, found in meat and dairy, that has gained attention for its potential in aiding fat loss and muscle preservation.
Here’s why CLA is worth considering, especially for those over 40:
- CLA can be a great ally in your weight management goals. It helps the body burn fat more efficiently, which can be a game-changer as your metabolism slows down with age.
- Not only does it assist in fat burning, but CLA also plays a role in preserving muscle mass. This is crucial as muscle loss is a common issue after 40, impacting overall metabolic health.
- You can find CLA in everyday foods or opt for supplements, making it an easy addition to your routine.
As with any supplement, moderation is key, and it’s always wise to consult with a healthcare professional before starting. CLA can be a valuable tool in maintaining a healthy metabolism and body composition as you age.
4. Protein powders
Protein powders are a versatile and effective way to support your metabolism and muscle health, especially as you navigate the changes that come after 40.
They’re not just for bodybuilders; here’s why they can be a valuable part of your daily routine:
- Protein is vital for preserving muscle mass, which tends to decrease with age. More muscle means a more active metabolism, helping you burn calories more efficiently.
- Protein powders provide a quick and easy way to get your daily protein intake, essential for overall health and energy levels.
- With options ranging from whey to plant-based proteins like pea or rice protein, there’s a powder for every dietary need and preference.
Adding protein powder to your smoothies, oatmeal, or even baked goods is a simple, effective way to ensure you’re getting enough protein to support your metabolic health and muscle maintenance as you age.
Remember, balance is key, and it’s best to use protein powders as a complement to a well-rounded diet.
Probiotics are like the friendly gardeners of your gut, tending to the intricate ecosystem that resides within you.
As you hit your 40s, their role becomes even more significant in supporting both your digestive health and metabolism. Here’s why probiotics are worth considering:
- Probiotics maintain a healthy gut microbiome, aiding nutrient absorption and metabolic processes .
- They assist in digestion, reducing issues like bloating or discomfort, which can hinder your metabolism.
- A happy gut translates to a healthier you. By promoting good gut health, probiotics can contribute to your overall well-being, providing you with the energy and vitality needed to stay active.
You can find probiotics in fermented foods like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, and kimchi, or opt for supplements. Remember, it’s about consistency; include probiotic-rich foods in your diet regularly.
- Probiotic blend arrives in the gut 100% alive, 1000x better survivability rate vs. leading probiotics.
- Contains 30 servings per container with the most well-researched, DNA-verified strains.
- Only retail-available probiotic containing the propriety, Bacillus Indicus HU36™.
6. B Vitamins
Think of B vitamins as the spark plugs for your body’s energy engine. These essential nutrients play a vital role in converting the food you eat into the energy your body needs to function. Here’s why B vitamins are essential, especially as you age:
- B vitamins are like the workers on a construction site, helping to build energy molecules within your cells. This energy is vital for all metabolic processes, from breathing to exercising.
- They act as coenzymes, working alongside enzymes to facilitate various metabolic reactions. Without them, these processes would slow down, affecting your overall metabolism.
- Specific B vitamins like B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), B3 (Niacin), and B6 (Pyridoxine) are particularly important for metabolic health, ensuring the efficient breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
You can get your daily dose of B vitamins from a balanced diet that includes foods like whole grains, lean meats, fish, and leafy greens.
If you’re concerned about meeting your B vitamin needs, consider a B-complex supplement, but consult with a healthcare provider to determine the right dosage.
7. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
It’s a naturally occurring fatty acid, found in meat and dairy, that has gained attention for its potential to aid fat loss and muscle preservation . Here’s why CoQ10 is worth considering, especially for those over 40:
- CoQ10 is a crucial component in the production of ATP, the primary energy currency of your cells. It’s like the fuel that keeps your cellular engines running.
- Beyond energy, CoQ10 acts as an antioxidant, protecting your cells from oxidative damage, which can accelerate aging and hinder metabolic efficiency.
- CoQ10 is vital for the heart, as it supports the energy needs of this essential organ. It’s particularly important for those concerned about cardiovascular health.
You can find CoQ10 in small amounts in foods like fatty fish and organ meats, but for a more targeted approach, supplements are available.
However, it’s crucial to consult with a healthcare provider before adding CoQ10 to your regimen, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are on medication.
This essential mineral is involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions in your body, including those that govern your metabolism.
As you age, ensuring you have enough magnesium becomes increasingly crucial. Here’s why magnesium deserves a spot in your supplement lineup:
- Magnesium is like the worker bee in your cells, assisting in the production of ATP, the body’s energy currency. It’s a key player in converting food into usable energy.
- It helps regulate blood glucose levels, which is vital for metabolic health and preventing insulin resistance.
- Magnesium ensures your muscles contract and relax properly, which is essential for maintaining muscle mass, a key component of a healthy metabolism.
You can incorporate magnesium into your diet by consuming magnesium-rich foods like nuts, leafy greens, and whole grains . However, if you’re concerned about meeting your magnesium needs, a supplement may be beneficial.
Optimizing your metabolism after the age of 40 is not only achievable but also essential for maintaining overall health and vitality. The supplements we’ve explored in this guide can be valuable allies in this endeavor.
However, it’s important to remember that supplements should complement, not replace, a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach, and what works best for you may vary.
The key is to be proactive in supporting your metabolism as you age. With the right choices and a holistic approach to health, you can enjoy the benefits of a well-functioning metabolism well into your 40s and beyond.
How can I boost my metabolism after 40?
To boost your metabolism after 40, focus on a combination of regular exercise, a balanced diet rich in whole foods, adequate sleep, and staying hydrated.
What supplements will speed up metabolism?
Supplements such as green tea extract, omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), B vitamins, Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), and magnesium can potentially support and optimize metabolism.
Is it safe to take metabolism supplements?
While most supplements mentioned are generally safe, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare provider before starting any new supplement, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are taking medications.
- 100% pure slow-digesting micellar chocolate-flavored casein.
- Made from growth hormone free skim milk.
- Free from additives, soy, gluten, GMOs.