FreshCap is on a mission to bring the benefits of a whole-body experience to a wider audience with mushroom supplements.
OK, we’re just going to come out and say it: Tony Shields is a fun guy. His passion for mushrooms and their myriad benefits runs though his mushroom supplements company FreshCap, which he co-founded with Tegan Shields, who holds a degree in Nutrition and Food Science.
The supplements market is stocked with all sorts of different tablets, capsules and powders. Various mushroom extracts are available, but several are taken from “mycelium on grain”, which is just mushroom root system, or mycelium, that has been grown out on a grain such as rice or oats. It’s cheaper and faster to grow, but the end-result can be a product that is mostly grain starch and which doesn’t contain much of the benefits you might be hoping for.
In contrast, FreshCap is all about whole fruiting body mushrooms, thoroughly extracted. No grain fillers are added (with all that fruiting body, there’s not mush-room left. Sorry). This, says our FreshCap dynamic duo, means “you can actually feel a difference.”
Tony told Longevity.Technology: “Each of these functional mushrooms are unique in how they can help us achieve optimal wellness. Whether you are looking for energy, cognitive support, immunity, or stress support, there is a mushroom to help you get there.”
Various mushrooms are filled with powerful beta-glucans, triterpenes, terpenoids, polyphenols, anti-oxidants, and other unique compounds; FreshCap mushrooms go through a multi-step extraction process that makes those compounds bioavailable, meaning they are available to act on cellular pathways in your body. In addition, the mushrooms are organically grown and analytically tested to guarantee high levels of active beneficial compounds in the mushroom supplements.
FreshCap offer various elixirs, capsules and powders extracted from six different mushrooms. Capsules are taken daily, with or without food, and the powder can be added to food or drink. Customers can choose a specific mushroom, or a blend to boost immunity, improve cognition, increase energy levels, or up their mood. FreshCap‘s best-seller is THRIVE 6; described as the “ultimate mushroom super-blend“, THRIVE 6 is designed as an all-in-one mushroom supplement.
FreshCap mushroom supplements ingredients
- Lion’s Mane – The secret power of Lion’s Mane comes from hericenones and erinacines, two compounds that stimulate the production of Nerve Growth Factor, which is involved in the growth, maintenance, and survival of neurons. A 2019 study demonstrated improvement in cognitive function and prevention of short-term memory deterioration.
- It also plays a critical role in supporting the immune system and accelerating wound healing, and one study showed Lion’s Mane has the possibility to reduce depression and anxiety.
- Turkey Tail – Turkey Tail is packed full of immune-supporting beta-glucans. These are water-soluble compounds that are able to interact with and modulate our immune systems, providing the ultimate immune defence. Turkey Tail is more than just a carrier for immune-supporting beta-glucans – it also contains an impressive array of antioxidants, including phenols and flavonoids. Extracts of Turkey Tail have been shown to exhibit anti-viral properties.
- Chaga – Chaga is packed with powerful beta-glucans to support immune health, but it’s also bursting with triterpenoids, antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins and minerals to support true whole-body wellness. As well as possibly lowering blood sugar, Chaga has long been used as an aid to digestion, and may be useful in the treatment of IBS.
- Reishi – Attributed to longevity for thousands of years, Reishi’s purported powers have earned it the nickname “The Mushroom Of Immortality”. Studies have shown that polysaccharides in Reishi may be able to modulate the immune system and even alter inflammation pathways in white blood cells. Studies have also demonstrated that extracts of Reishi significantly increased both total sleep time and non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep time.
- Cordyceps – Cordyceps contains powerful bio-active compounds; one of these compounds, called Cordycepin, has been studied for its anti-inflammatory, immunomodulating, and antiviral properties. Cordyceps militaris fruiting body also contains high levels of immune supporting beta-glucans (up to 25%). A 2015 study found that Cordyceps improved aerobic activity, exercise metabolism and endurance performance in healthy, mid age to elderly sedentary humans. In addition, polysaccharides in Cordyceps can help to bolster the immune response to viral infections.
- Maitake – Maitake contains many different bio-active protein bound polysaccharides. One of these polysaccharides, known as Maitake D-fraction appears to trigger immune macrophages, causing them to excrete proteins that act as a signalling device – allowing the macrophage to rapidly be aware of the presence of an invader. Maitake can favourably influence the production of insulin, lowering blood glucose levels and has shown promise in its ability to lower cholesterol, decrease blood pressure and help maintain or even lose weight.
Images courtesy of FreshCap
The information included in this article is for informational purposes only. The purpose of this webpage is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
*The statements made in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA (U.S. Food & Drug Administration).